Heh. I love the word “cookery.” It just sounds so … bad-ass and blasphemous. Last night I was asked to share some of my favorite vegan recipes. Since I get this question often enough, I figured it was time to do a blog post. I’m going to rec some of my favorite cookbooks and then point out specific recipes that I love from them. This is in no way comprehensive, but just what came to mind. If the cookbook is out of print and you can’t get it, let me know and I will share the recipe you would like.
Without further ado:
Cooking with PETA
You can say what you want about the organization, but if it hadn’t been for this cookbook, I don’t think my girlfriend would have stayed vegan very long.
- Crispy Tofu Cubes (we add green bell pepper)
- Golden Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Beefless Stew (we use seitan instead of TVP)
- Tofu Scrambler
Vegan With a Vengeance
Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero really changed things in our house. We particularly love:
- carrot bisque – add a squeeze of lime juice!
- make your own seitan!
- raspberry blackout cake
- I make a pesto recipe that is very close to the one here, except mine has a little bit of miso in it instead of nutritional yeast
- peanut sauce
- Make your own garam masala!
- broccoli with garlic and mustard seeds
- spicy kebabs (we use seitan instead of lamb – serve in a wrap with baked yam, squeeze some lime on top, yum yum
- Mock Lamb Curry (I just sub soy sour cream for the dairy)
- A chickpea curry recipe from Trinidad and Tobago
- Ethiopian Lentils
- Veggie Pot Pie
- Biscuits (to make buttermilk, I just put ~1tsp of apple cider vinegar in the soy milk)
The Candle Cafe Cookbook has THE BEST spanikopita recipe, vegan or no.
And we have one recipe that we LOVE from Ron Pickarski’s Eco-Cuisine – seitan burgers. Do yourself a favor and skip the hazelnut cheesecake with the whole wheat couscous crust, though.
We also have all three dessert cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and Vegan Pie in the Sky. You can find all three here: Post Punk Kitchen: Vegan Baking and Cooking.
I have a few recipes that I just acquired. This is one of my favorites. It’s fairly easy and will wow your friends: Green beans and tofu in a Thai coconut sauce
Would love to hear what some of your favorite cookbooks and recipes are. Please share!